This commands creates a layer group from the current layer.
- Select a layer in the Layers palette
- Double-click the "Group from Layer" pictogram in the Effects palette.
- Use the drag-and-drop method to add more layers into the created group.
- Please note that in Photoshop Elements you can't access individual layers inside a layer group, so, be sure to adjust the layer position before grouping.
- Note also that when you add a new layer, it appears at the very bottom of the group. To retain the stacking order, select all the layers you need ([Ctrl]-click) and then drag them into the group.
- Create an adjustment layer, for instance, "Levels".
- Apply the "Group from Layer" action. The "Levels" layer is hidden inside "Group 1".
- Select the layers that should be adjusted and drag them into the group (screenshot).
Now the adjustment layer only affects the layers inside the group.